A little quiz to end the week with.
Below are some very fine opening lines to songs. Can you identify them all?
Please add any other examples worthy of note – the ones that earn the swiftest of cheers at concerts as mass recognition kicks in, the ones that hook you in from the get-go as they’re indicative of a good story or trigger your emotions – but please hold back the artist and song title so that we can all play the guessing game for at least a short while. (Much needed exercise for a tired brain on a Friday?)
I know that you’ll know these three, all from the same album:
“Did you know it was all going to go so wrong for you?”
“Beyond the horizon of the place we lived when we were young”
“Where were you when I was burned and broken?”
Speaking of that album (The Division Bell, if you need help), time is running out on Royal Mail’s Big Month of Music promotion. Purchase those special Pink Floyd stamps online and your name, as long as you’re a UK resident aged 18 or over, will be entered into the next daily prize draw to win iTunes gift cards totalling £1,000. The last daily draw is on Wednesday 31 March.
If you have some already, do tell: have you used them, or stashed them away for safekeeping?
Well, that’s all for another week. Have a good weekend, don’t forget Earth Hour tomorrow… and remember: no cheating.
01. “There is a house in New Orleans”
02. “Sweet smell of a great sorrow lies over the land”
03. “I look over yonder, hot sun turning over”
04. “Tommy used to work on the docks”
05. “The wind is in from Africa and last night I couldn’t sleep”
06. “I was dreaming when I wrote this”
07. “I met a Frenchman in a field last night, he was out there with an easel”
08. “I’ve got sunshine on a cloudy day”
09. “Psychic spies from China try to steal your mind’s elation”
10. “I’m in the phone booth, it’s the one across the hall”
11. “Libraries gave us power, then work came and made us free”
12. “If not for you, babe, I couldn’t find the door”
13. “All I can say is that my life is pretty plain”
14. “This happened once before when I came to your door”
15. “She was more like a beauty queen from a movie scene”
16. “Everybody’s talking and no-one says a word”
17. “Richard’s on the street with all the lonely people trying to get a job”
18. “You know you could’ve been a wonder”
19. “I just wanna ask the question: Who really cares?”
20. “Childhood living is easy to do”
21. “I like to dream right between the sound machine”
22. “Hello, Darkness, my old friend”
23. “There she stood in the street, smiling from her head to her feet”
24. “When they poured across the border, I was cautioned to surrender”
25. “I am the key to the lock in your house”